Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Beet It - a Vegan Dinner Option

Roasted Beets and Potato with Sauteed Beet Greens and Fresh Garbanzos

I never had beets other than at a Sizzler's Salad Bar until this week.  One of the great things about turning VEGAN is that I feel like I don't waste food, like in this beet recipe.  I told my Mom I was having beets for dinner and being the good old Italian lady she is, she told me 'eat the beet greens too', so I did, and ooh was I glad I did - so delicious!
I picked up some fresh Garbanzos at an ethnic grocery store here in Los Angeles.  If you never have had fresh Garbanzos you're in for a treat as well.  They come in pods and usually there are one or two beans in each pod.  When cooked they turn a deeper green and have a nutty almost creamy consistency, so much better than the canned varieties.

Roasted Beets and Potato

Ingredients
1 bunch of Beets cut in chunks
1 Potato cut in chunks
1 T. Olive Oil
Coarse Sea Salt to taste.

Preheat oven to 400.  Scrub then cut the veggies and place on a foiled baking sheet, reserving the beet greens  (you can peel the veggies, though the beets are easily peeled once cooked).  Pour on Olive Oil and sprinkle on Sea Salt.  Mix around with your hands until all pieces are coated.  Place in oven and let roast for 40-45 minutes.  (You can put the beets in a separate "foil packet" if you choose but I like the beet juice to run all over and bake into the potato)

Sauteed Beet Greens and Fresh Garbanzos

Ingredients
Beet Greens, keeping some of the stem as well
1/2 cup fresh, shelled Garbanzos
2 cloves Garlic, diced
1 T. Olive Oil
Coarse Sea Salt
Crushed Red Pepper Flakes (optional)

In sauté pan heat the Olive Oil, Garlic, and Red Pepper over medium high heat, making sure not to burn the garlic.  Add the Beet Greens, after a minute add the Garbanzos, cook for another couple minutes then sprinkle on the Sea Salt to taste.  Cook for a minute more then serve.

Nutritional Info
calories: 575
fat: 12g (from the Olive Oil)
carbohydrates: 100g
protein: 14g
Vitamin A: 100% RDA


No comments:

Post a Comment