Thursday, April 12, 2012

Whole Grain Penne Primavera Mexicali

I finally decided to use the box of Barilla whole grain penne that's been staring at me from inside my cabinet for months.  I gathered some fresh produce at my local Mexican grocery made a quick and easy primavera sauce and spiced it up a bit.  It turned out muy bueño.



Whole Grain Penne Primavera Mexicali

 Ingredients


1 Poblano Pepper chopped
1 Yellow Onion chopped
2 cloved garlic chopped
1 Zucchini sliced into half moons
1 Yellow Squash sliced into half moons
2 Plum Tomatos chopped
2 tsp Olive Oil
1/4 cup Cilantro
1 tsp Chli Powder
1/2 tsp Cayenne Pepper
1 tsp Paprika
Red Pepper Flakes to taste
Sea Salt to taste
7oz. (1/2 box) Barilla Whole Grain Penne

Sauté the Poblano Pepper, Onion and Garlic in the Olive Oil over medium-medium high heat.
( I used my cast iron skillet which I love for this one)
After about 5 minutes add the Zucchini, Squash and Seasonings.
After 3 minutes add the tomato and Cilantro and let simmer for 10 minutes.
In the meantime cook the Penne in boiling salted water for 7 minutes (2 minutes under the recommended cooking time).
Drain Penne and then add to the other ingredients in the skillet.
Let it simmer in the sauce for 2 more minutes until al dente.  Makes 2 generous servings.

Nutritional Info

Calories: 450
Fat: 7g
Carbohydrates: 76g
Protein: 15g

No comments:

Post a Comment