Saturday, April 14, 2012

Guess what, more beans

Chunky Refried Bean Dip with Tomatillo

I didn't realize that a bag of those dried beans I got at the 99¢ store would make so much.   That pound bag has been feeding me for a few days now, I got beans coming out my ears.   I had some fresh made tortilla chips so I thought a dip would be in order.  I came up with this recipe and it turned out swell;  spicy, tangy and kinda addictive.

Ingredients


1 cup Black Beans (cooked)
1 cup Pink Beans (cooked)
1 Onion, diced
1 Red Bell Pepper, diced
2 Tomatillos, diced
2 Cloves Garlic, diced
1 tsp Cayenne Pepper
Fine Sea Salt to Taste
1/2 T. Olive Oil

Sauté the Onions, Bell Pepper and Garlic in the Olive Oil over Medium Heat (I again used my cast iron skillet - I find I use less oil in my cast iron because it's so well seasoned).  After 5 minutes or when onions are translucent add the Beans.  Mash the bean with the back of a spoon until they're not quite a refried bean consistency, in other words leave it a little chunky.  Add the Tomatillos and Seasonings and cook for another five minutes and then turn down the heat and let simmer for at least another 10 minutes, stirring often. Serve with some tortilla chips and you're good to go. Makes 2 servings.

Nutritional Info (per serving)

Calories: 350
Fat: 5g
Carbohydrates: 78g
Protein: 22g
Over 100% US RDA of Vitamin C

No comments:

Post a Comment